Winterizing Your Pool
When you are ready to close your pool for the season, you will want to first be sure that the water is CLEAN AND BALANCED.
- Brush and Vacuum the pool and remove any fallen leaves or debris.
- Have your water tested at Carlton Pools to be certain that the water is in balance. Make any necessary adjustments for pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium, Cyanuric, Metal content, etc.
- If you have or suspect you have excess minerals or metals in your water, have your water tested at Carlton Pools and add the recommended “stuff” per label directions.
- For best results, allow water to circulate a minimum of 2-4 hours so that any chemicals added will be evenly distributed.
- Purchase any necessary freeze protectors (for your skimmer, air freeze pillows, plugs, etc.) that you will need for your pool and spa.
- Check winter cover and be sure it is in good condition along with cable and winch or water tubes. Replace any worn or lost items.
- Carlton Pools’ service department offers a complete pool closing service by calling our service department at 215-674-8185. Each year we offer free pool school classes. If you choose to close
- your pool on your own, be sure to attend and read all of the manufacturers’ winterizing recommendations that came with your pool and equipment. The recommendations below will provide general guidelines for closing your above ground pool.
Above Ground Pools
- Follow recommendations above and be sure water is clean and balanced.
Add closing chemicals recommended by your Carlton Pools professional:
- Chlorine-treated pools:
- Shock pool using Easy Shock & Swim, 1 lb. per 12,000 gallons.
- Add a maintenance dose of Back-UP or Algae All 60 per label directions.
- SoftSwim®-treated pools:
- Test then add enough SoftSwim B to achieve a level of 50 ppm, 1 pint raises 10,000 gallons of water 10 ppm.
- Add a start-up/initial dose of SoftSwim A, 1 qt. per 25,000 gallons.
- Add a maintenance dose of SoftSwim C, 1 gallon per 10,000 gallons.
- IMPORTANT Run your filter continuously for 24 to 48 hours to make sure the chemicals have circulated thoroughly.
- Backwash and clean filter following owner’s manual for cleaning and winterizing. We recommend having your D.E. filter elements chemically cleaned by our in-store service department at the end of each season.
- Shut off pump and motor.
- Remove any directional part of the return to protruding into the pool, such as the eyeball fitting or return nozzle and install appropriate plug.
- Protect your skimmer with a freeze protector.